These crab cakes need to be in your repertoire! Easy and impressive, toss a salad for lunch or add eggs for brunch. Remoulade brings just the right amount of hot and cool to this classic recipe.
These golden-brown wonders are a timeless coastal classic that will satisfy the seafood lover in you. Succulent crab meat blended with aromatic herbs, spices, and just the right amount of breadcrumbs for a tantalizing texture. Each bite is sweet and briny!
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Ingredients for the Crab Cakes:
- 1 large egg
- 2 ½ tablespoons mayonnaise or Greek yogurt
- 1 ½ teaspoons whole grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or your favorite hot sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons Worcestershire
- ½ small red onion, minced
- ½ red bell pepper, minced
- 1 celery stalk, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1 pound lump crabmeat, picked through
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- avocado or other neutral flavored oil, for cooking
Ingredients for the Remoulade:
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise or Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, green part only, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Creole mustard, or other hot, whole-grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 ½ teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoons hot or smoked paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons minced fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- For the crab cakes: In a medium bowl whisk together the egg, mayonnaise, mustard, cayenne (or hot sauce) and Worcestershire. Add the onion, bell pepper, celery, parsley and a couple of pinches of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir until evenly combined.
- Fold in the crabmeat followed by the panko breadcrumbs. Take care not to overmix this. Divide the mixture into quarters and shape each section into discs approximately 1 inch thick. Place on a plate or tray and refrigerate.
- Place a large skillet over medium high heat. Add enough oil to barely coat the bottom of the pan. Once the oil is hot, carefully place the crab cakes in and cook until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Use a fish spatula to carefully flip the crab cakes and cook for another 5 to 6 minutes until golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack and cover with foil.
- For the remoulade: Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl; taste and adjust with more lemon juice, hot sauce or horseradish. The sauce will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Serve the crab cakes and remoulade as an appetizer or on top of salad for lunch.