Classic Falafel Sandwich
Calories 217, Carbs 18 grams, Fat 14 grams, Protein 6 grams
For the falafel
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 – 14.5 ounce can low sodium chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 3 tablespoons chickpea flour
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, leaves only, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, stems and leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, leaves only, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Lemon Tahini Sauce
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- zest from ½ of 1 lemon
- 6 whole wheat pita bread, homemade or store bought
- lettuce leaves, washed and patted dry
- sliced cucumber
- diced tomatoes
- thinly sliced red onion
- To make the falafel: Spread the chickpeas out on a plate or sheet tray and blot dry well with a paper towel. Try to get them as dry as possible to get the right texture on the batter. Once dried, transfer them to the bowl of a food processor.
- Place all the remaining ingredients in the food processor with the chickpeas and pulse the mixture until it is mostly smooth but with small pieces of chickpea and herbs still visible. Transfer to a clean bowl, cover and chill in the refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat an air fryer or convection oven to 400°F and spray the rack with nonstick spray (we like coconut oil). Remove the falafel batter from the refrigerator and, using a spoon or your hands, shape 12 equal balls. Flatten them into ½ inch thick disks and place the disks on the air fryer tray.
- Cook for 15 to 17 minutes, until golden brown and firm on the outside.
- Remove the falafel and allow them to cool a few minutes before serving.
- To make the dressing: whisk the tahini, water, lemon juice and zest and grated garlic together in a small bowl. While continuously whisking, slowly pour in the olive oil. Once the dressing is emulsified, season with the salt.
- To plate: split the pita in half to expose the pocket. Place the lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes and onion in each pocket, followed by one falafel per half. Drizzle 1 teaspoon of the tahini dressing in each pita.
- *If you don’t have an air fryer, you can shallow fry these in 1 inch of high temperature oil, such as avocado or vegetable. First form the batter into balls, pressing them slightly to make ½ inch disks then chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Fry at medium high heat, 3 to 4 minutes per side, until golden brown and crispy. Remove from the oil and allow them to drain and cool on a wire rack with paper towels underneath before serving.