Cider Braised Chicken
The perfect dish to feed a crowd when it’s cold outside. Apples and chard add flavor plus fiber. Yogurt is an easy way to finish a sauce with creaminess and acidity. The best part is this dish is one pot and finished in under 45 minutes.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
- 1 slice bacon, chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 LB chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 Pink Lady apple, cored and sliced
- 2 cups chopped Swiss chard, 4 oz
- 2 tbsp low-fat Greek yogurt
- Heat bacon in a Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring frequently. Remove to a dish once fully cooked and golden brown.
- Drain any fat remaining in the pan and add the oil. Increase the heat to medium-high and add the chicken thighs. Sear each side until browned but not cooked through, about 3 minutes each side.
- Remove the thighs to the dish with the bacon. Reduce heat to medium and add the shallot and garlic. Heat until fragrant, stirring frequently to prevent burning, about 2 minutes.
- Add the vinegar, broth, mustard, pepper and thyme. Use the back of a spoon to scrape up any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in the apples and chard. Add the thighs and bacon back into the pot. Make sure the chicken is submerged in liquid.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 20 minutes and the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the yogurt. Enjoy!