Chocolate Pots de Creme with Peppermint Whipped Cream
A minty spin on a classic French treat. Whole milk is the star of this dessert and combines with egg yolks to create a velvety pudding. The puddings bakes in the oven in a water bath that helps prevent them from overcooking. We utilize the cream in 2 spots, in the pot de creme itself and the whipped cream on top. Any peppermint candy will shine as a topping but we love the look of crushed candy canes. We can’t wait for you to #MakeMilkMoments during this class.
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Cool Time: 2 hours to overnight
Pot de Creme:
- 2 cups whole milk
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 4 oz chopped 70% dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- ½ tsp espresso powder
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- Hot water for baking
Peppermint Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, cold
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- ¼ cup crushed peppermint candy canes (about 4 candy canes)
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Add milk, cream and salt to a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat until it is simmering and fully heated, stirring constantly to prevent burning.
- Turn off the heat. Stir in the chocolate and espresso powder until fully combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar and yolks. Slowly whisk in the hot chocolate mixture, one ladle at a time, until fully incorporated. Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a large liquid measuring cup or pitcher.
- Evenly divide the chocolate mixture amongst six 4 oz oven safe containers.
- Set a baking dish or roasting pan in the center of the oven and carefully transfer the containers to the pan. Carefully pour hot water into the pan until filled halfway up the sides of the containers. Cover the entire pan with foil and poke a few slits with a knife to allow steam to escape. Bake for 25-30 minutes until firm on the outside and still jiggly in the center.
- Carefully remove the containers from the water and let them cool on a rack for 30 minutes. Cover and transfer to the refrigerator and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Right before serving: combine the cold cream, sugar, and extract into a bowl. Whisk on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Top each pot de creme with whipped topping and then crushed candy canes. Enjoy!