Calories 640, Carbs 75 grams, Fat 20 grams, Protein 40 grams
Ingredients for the sauce:
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced or grated
- 2 tablespoons low sodium tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (more to taste)
- 1 – 28 ounce can no salt added crushed tomatoes
- olive oil, as needed
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Ingredients for the chicken:
- 2 large chicken breasts, butterflied (or 4 chicken cutlets)
- 2 large eggs, beaten well
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup rice flour, for dredging
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 cups whole wheat breadcrumbs, for dredging
- 4 ounces fontina cheese, grated
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley leaves, roughly chopped, for garnish
- To make the marinara sauce: Heat approximately 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Once the oil is hot and shimmering add the onion and garlic and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until the onion is translucent and the garlic is aromatic. Stir in the tomato paste and crushed red pepper flakes and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the tomato paste is a deeper, darker red color. Carefully pour in the crushed tomatoes and lower the heat. Let the sauce simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until it has thickened. Taste and season with salt and pepper before using.
- To make the chicken: If you butterflied the chicken, place it between two pieces of parchment paper or plastic wrap and, using a mallet or rolling pin, pound the chicken into an even 1/3 inch thickness (skip this step if you are using cutlets).
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper and let it sit at room temperature while you set up the breading station: place the beaten eggs in a shallow dish and, in a separate shallow dish or plate, pour the flour along with a few generous pinches of salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir to combine.
- In a new shallow dish or plate stir together the garlic powder, onion powder and panko breadcrumbs. Add 3 tablespoons of grated parmesan along with a generous pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Pour 1 inch of olive oil into a large, deep sided skillet and place over medium high heat.
- Preheat the broiler on high.
- Coat both sides of the chicken breast with flour, dip in the egg then coat in the panko breadcrumbs. Carefully lay into the hot oil and cook-2 pieces at a time unless your pan can comfortably fit all four pieces-for 10 to 12 minutes, flipping halfway through when it is a dark golden brown. Transfer to an oven safe baking dish or skillet.
- Spoon the marinara sauce over the chicken and top with the fontina and parmesan cheeses. Place under the broiler for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and browned.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve with a salad, pasta or crusty bread.