Caramelized Onion & Artichoke Dip
Calories 331, Carbs 20 grams, Fat 20 grams, Protein 20 grams
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 14 ounce can artichokes, drained and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup 0% Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 6 ounces low-fat monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Preheat your oven to 425°F.
- In a large oven-proof skillet (cast iron works great for this), melt the ghee on your stovetop over medium heat. Add the onions and saute them, stirring regularly, until caramelized well all over. Don’t rush this step, it could take up to 10 minutes, as you want the onions to caramelize slowly. Stir in the garlic and artichokes, cooking for 2 more minutes.
- Turn the heat up to medium high. Pour in half of the chicken broth, reserving the rest in case you need to thin it out later, and scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen any brown bits from cooking the onions. Let the broth come to a simmer and cook 2 – 3 minutes, reducing down the liquid by at least half.
- Lower the heat down to low and stir in the greek yogurt until it’s fully combined.
- Season the mixture with the salt, lemon juice and lemon zest. Stir to combine.
- Stir in ⅓ of the monterey jack cheese then top with the rest of the cheese, making sure to evenly distribute it all the way to the edges.
- Place the skillet in the oven and cook until the top is slightly browned, about 3 – 5 minutes.
- Allow it to sit for at least 5 minutes before serving straight from the skillet with pita bread, chips, or cut vegetables of your choice.