Caramelized Citrus Cake
Prep Time: 25 min
Cook Time: 50 min
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 blood oranges, or another orange of your choice (or a mix of your favorite citrus)
- 2 lemons
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup (236 grams) honey
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1 ⅓ cups low-fat ricotta
- 1 teaspoon (7 grams) kosher salt
- 2/3 cup (130 grams) cornmeal
- 2 cups (284 grams) firm-packed almond flour
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the SCANPAN TECHNIQ The Square pan on medium heat with the brown sugar and water. Stir to moisten the sugar and then leave it alone. Cook until a caramel is formed, approximately 8 minutes.
- While the caramel is cooking, zest the oranges and lemon, juice two of the oranges and 1 lemon- you will need 2/3 cup. Thinly slice the remaining lemon and oranges.
- Once the caramel is almost to an amber color remove the pan from the stove (carryover cooking will take the color further). Set aside to cool.
- Using hand beaters or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter with all of the zest until it’s completely softened. If using a stand mixer, scrape down the sides, bottom, and paddle before pouring in the honey; beat until evenly combined then begin adding the egg yolks, one at a time, beating after each addition and waiting until the prior egg is completely combined before adding the next one. Lastly, add the ricotta and salt and mix on medium until just combined.
- Sprinkle the cornmeal and almond flour over the top and use a spatula to stir until all of the cornmeal and almond flour is mixed in. Stir in 2/3 cup of citrus juice and set aside.
- In a separate clean, large bowl whisk the egg whites until they form a stiff peak. Take a spatula full of the egg whites and stir it into the batter (this is known as sacrificing). Add half of the egg whites and gently fold them in just until there are no visible white streaks. Add the remaining half of egg whites and fold until just mixed in.
- Arrange the sliced oranges and lemon on top of the warm caramel in any design you like- just keep in mind that this will be the top of the cake so make it nice. Pour the cake batter over the citrus and smooth it into an even layer. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the cake is firm to the touch and doesn’t jiggle when shaken.
- Allow the cake to cool for 5 minutes in the pan before using an offset spatula or butter knife to loosen the cake from the edges; carefully, place a large serving platter or plate over the cake and flip over. If any of the citrus slices get jostled, carefully replace them on the top of the cake (no one will ever know!).
This recipe was created for the SCANPAN TECHNIQ The Square pan, which is 13 inches by 13 inches. You can bake this in a rimmed sheet tray or baking dish that is close to that size or in 2 – 9 inch cake pans. Alternatively, you can cut the recipe in half to make 1 – 9 inch cake.