Black Bean Cakes & Crunchy Detox Salad
Calories 335, Carbs 43 grams, Fat 14 grams, Protein 13 grams
Ingredients for the Black Bean Cakes
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil, plus more for frying
- 1 small onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 – 15 ounce cans low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 ¼ cups plain dry whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- diced avocado, sliced scallions, and lime wedges, for serving
Ingredients for the Crunchy Detox Salad
- 1 bunch or about 3 cups lacinato kale leaves, rubbed, removed from stem and finely chopped
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1/4 small red cabbage
- 1 cup matchstick (shredded) carrots
- 1/3 cup thinly-sliced green onions
- 1 cup roughly-chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds
Ingredients for the Dressing
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup of packed fresh parsley leaves and stems
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice, to taste
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup or honey
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons ice-cold water, more as needed
- In a medium skillet, heat the 2 tablespoons of avocado oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes until softened. Add the cumin and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
- Scrape the onion mixture into the bowl of a food processor. Add 1 ½ cups of the beans along with the cayenne and pulse until the mixture is finely chopped but not smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Mix in the remaining whole beans and 1/2 cup of the bread crumbs and season with salt and pepper.
- Form the mixture into twelve 1/4-cup patties, about 1/2 inch thick.
- To bread the cakes, place each cake into the bread crumbs, pressing so that they adhere firmly to all sides.
- In a very large skillet, heat 1/8 inch of avocado oil over medium high heat until it shimmers. Add the cakes and fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels to ensure the breadcrumbs stay crispy.
- Serve the black bean cakes topped with the avocado, scallions and with lime wedges on the side.
Directions for the Crunchy Detox Salad
- For the dressing, add all of the ingredients EXCEPT the water to the jar of a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Add the water as needed to thin it out to the desired consistency.
- Add the kale, broccoli, cabbage and carrots to the food processor with the dressing and pulse until shredded and combined. Add the green onions and cilantro and pulse a few times just to combine.
- Transfer to a bowl and toss with the slivered almonds