Beef & Broccoli Stir Fry
Calories 395, Carbs 38 grams, Fat 10 grams, Protein 38 grams
Ingredients for the marinade:
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons water, divided
- 1 pound sirloin, top round or flank steak, visible fat removed, frozen for 15 minutes then thinly sliced in 3 inch pieces
Ingredients for the sauce:
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, more or less to taste
Ingredients for the Stir Fry:
- 1 tablespoon canola or grapeseed oil
- 2 medium carrots, cut into thin coins
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into small florets (about 3 cups)
- 3 cups red or green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced, divided
- 2 cups steamed brown rice or steamed shirataki noodles, for serving
- For the marinade: In a medium bowl whisk together the baking soda and 2 tablespoons of water. Place the beef in the bowl and stir to coat; let sit for 5 minutes or up to 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- To make the sauce: In a small bowl stir together the soy sauce, hoisin, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes.
- For the stir fry: Heat a large wok or skillet over medium high heat with the oil. When the oil is almost smoking
- Add the beef and cook until crisp on the outside but still pink on the inside, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon of the sauce and allow it to cook for 30 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, scoop the beef onto a plate (any cooking juices left behind in the wok will cook away).
- Put the carrots, broccoli, cabbage and bell pepper into the wok and cook until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in the remaining 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) of water and let the vegetables steam until the broccoli turns bright green and most of the liquid has cooked away, about 2 minutes more.
- Stir in half of the green onions along with 2 tablespoons of the sauce and allow it to cook for about 1 minute.
- Reduce the heat to medium and return the beef to the wok, pouring the remaining sauce over the top.
- Divide the steamed brown rice or shirataki noodles between four bowls, top with the beef & broccoli (make sure to get all the sauce in there!). Garnish with the remaining scallions.