Bean & Cheese Burrito
Calories 365, Carbs 54 grams, Fat 11 grams, Protein 16 grams
- 4 low carb (15 grams or less) tortillas, such as Siete Almond Flour Tortillas
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 – 14 ounce can low sodium black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1/2 cup canned Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, drained
- 1 jalapeño, deseeded (optional), finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 tablespoons nonfat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Wrap the tortillas in foil and warm in the oven until heated through, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick pan over medium high heat, heat the oil until it is shimmering the stir in the onions. Sauté until golden then sprinkle the cumin, chili powder and garlic powder over the onions. Stir until the spices are fragrant and toasted, approximately 30 seconds. Add the bell pepper, corn, zucchini and carrot and cook for 3 to 5 minutes until tender.
- Tip in the beans, tomatoes and jalapeño and bring to a simmer. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper before removing from the heat.
- Lay the tortillas out on the cutting board or counter. Spoon the filling down the center, dividing equally amongst the 4 tortillas. Top each with 1 tablespoon of cheese followed by 1 tablespoon each of sour cream and cilantro. Fold the top and bottom of the tortilla over the filling then the sides. Place each burrito, seam side down, onto the plate and serve.
- You can also place these seam side down in a hot nonstick pan over medium high heat and toast all the way around before serving if you want a crunchy burrito.