You’ve been craving all the fresh green things, but still want something hearty and warm. This soup delivers on both. Delicate asparagus goes skinny dipping with wild rice. Perfect to dig into on a cozy Sunday afternoon while watching your garden come back to life. This flavorful soup also happens to support kidney health and is diabetes friendly.
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 40 min
Serving Size: 2 cups
- 4 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 clove garlic (minced)
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 bunch asparagus (trimmed and chopped into 1-inch pieces)
- 3/4 cup wild rice
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Prepare the wild rice according to package instructions, omitting salt and seasoning packet if included. Remove the pan from heat, allow rice to sit, covered, for additional 15 minutes. Set aside and let cool.
- In a Dutch oven, melt the butter and sauté the garlic and onion until tender. Add carrots, herbs and spices. Continue to cook over medium heat until tender.
- Mix in the flour and cook over low heat for a few minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour in the 4 cups of chicken broth and vermouth. Using a wire whisk, blend until smooth.
- Add chicken and asparagus to the soup, then slowly add the almond milk. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Fold in prepared rice, and serve.