Arugula Pesto Pasta
Calories 648, Carbs 64 grams, Fat 37 grams, Protein 17 grams
- 1 pound whole wheat pasta (bucatini or your favorite shape)
For the balsamic glaze
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
For the pesto
- 1 ½ cups pecans, chopped (or almonds or pine nuts), toasted
- 5 ounces baby arugula
- 1 bunch fresh mint, leaves only
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 ounces parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6 ounces burrata or fresh mozzarella
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
To make the balsamic glaze
- In a small saucepan combine the balsamic vinegar and honey and cook over medium heat until it has reduced to syrup consistency, about 10 minutes.
To make the pesto:
- In the bowl of a food processor or blender, pulse half of the pecans, arugula, mint, oil, lemon zest, half of the lemon juice and garlic. Pulse until the leaves are roughly chopped and completely mixed with the oil. If the pesto is too thick you can add a bit more olive oil as needed.
- Scrape the pesto out of the food processor and into a medium bowl. Stir in the grated cheese and remaining pecans. Taste and season as needed with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Toss the pasta with the pesto, thinning it out as needed with the pasta water. Stir in the cherry tomatoes and top with torn burrata and a drizzle of the balsamic honey glaze.